Now that the Sun is finally out We must think of trying ways to converse water.There are three known ways that do work in practise that I know off.
- Beds & border
This can be done about now. But always weed the bed first with a hoe do not dig over the bed otherwise the water that is still in the soil would evaporate. water in plants with rain water – rain water is softer and there fore drains easily through the soil.- apply the mulch on the bed leaving a gap around the plant so you can water directly onto the plant.
Do not use fresh tree bark although this looks decorative the bark contains tanin which if its rotted down would otherwise kill the plant
If using Peat or other compost material make sure it properly wetted first this binds the compost together and acts as barrier against the heat of the sun as well as keeping the plant cool
- Beds and borders should be basin shaped now this esures that any rain or dew fall will accumalate on the surface and water the plants
- The best practise is not water dueing the day but early morning or in the evening other wise the water will lost to evaporation this applies to all plants in the greenhouse,pot plants and summer bedding.
- In cases of greenhouse pot plants and house plants there is a wetting agents available that you apply to the compost before planting. Also to ensure the proper humidity you can apply clay pellets to trays and stand pots in those and water. The excess water will be absorbed by the clay and give the roots the moisture they need
- For Outside pots esp ornamental one best to read up water techniques for them as some plants can be die from being over watered in the case of oleanders which require good drainage rule of thumb if the plants origin come from the Mediterranean follow what they do there
- Use a water but to catch the rain water and if that runs out then use a hose as the last measures