What is a Pyrethrum.
Pyrethrum is a member of the Chrysanthemum cinerariifolium and Chrysanthemum coccineum. family the head are dried then left to brew for several hours until the distilling is completed.
It is best to buy the insecticide already made as the brewing can be harmful to humans
The chemical involved is called pyrethrins.One common example is permethrin. A common formulation of pyrethrin is in preparations containing the synthetic chemical piperonyl butoxide: this has the effect of enhancing the toxicity to insects and speeding the effects when compared with pyrethrins used alone. These formulations are known as synergized pyrethrins.
How to use
Pyrethum comes in many forms
- As a powder esp for bed bugs and ant powder to get into nooks and crevices.
- As a spray for plant use ( this comes with a another chemical that stops the insects getting immune to it )
- or a smoke bombs for green houses
although Pyrethin is natural product the mass produced pyrethrum is human made.Both formed can form side affects when inhaled like
- respiratory problem
- rashes on the skin should you be in contact with it
Therefore it always wise to use protective clothing like
- face mask
- rubber gloves
- and to avoid spraying it into the wind
- and to avoid spraying around any water supply
- and always spray last thing at night or early morning before the bees arrive
- Biosynthesis of Sesquiterpene Lactones in Pyrethrum (Tanacetum cinerariifolium) (plosone.org)
- Bugs! (thomahaakfamilyfarm.wordpress.com)
- 6 Plants to Keep Bugs Away! (mhoffmann2670.wordpress.com)