Spring Lawn care.
Now that the warm weather is here it time to look after your lawn and put back what this wet few months have taken away from it all.
The signs to look out are as follows :-
- Is your grass getting a bit anaemic
This can caused by two things :-
- The grass could be too long still and the shoots aren’t getting another light – If that is the case then all you got to do is make sure the strands stand up
A process we call in the trade as verticuting or tilling
- . This process not only makes it easier to cut on fine grasses but also gets rids off excess moss and thatch that will eventually clot your mower.
- This can either be done manually with a wire rake on small lawns or with a mechanical or electric lawn rakes for big
- In cases of long grass its best to use a power trimmer and continue raking it and cutting it until its the right length. ( bear in mind that afterwards you will get have nothing but
- yellow storks at the end of if it ,This may look unsightly as it just the storks showing but after a feeding regime and watering. with in a few weeks young green shoots should appear.)
The only disadvantages is that it does leave your grass looking a bit scruffy as the picture bellow slow
After the lawn rake
lawn being raked by lawn rake
If these do not apply to you then go to step
- (2) OK so the only thing that’s upsetting your grass is a fungus called yellow spot.
Then the treatment is to apply a fungicide mixed with nitrate to green the grass
Feeding the Lawn
Not long ago the general rule was to feed the grass 3 days before you cut or three days after this was so that the feed wont scorch the newly cut grass.
But now there are After cut on the markets so you can cut and feed the lawn at the same time . the only difference is the price .The brands to look for are the ones with high nitrogen ratio content.
These are then measured out and dispersed by the use of a hopper see picture opposite. After wards leave for 3 days or until the Moss & weeds have died or turned black in some cases then rake it either with a rake or scarifier.
See above on Verticuting or tilling
A Bosh electric lawn rake
Next thing to do is to reseed any patches that you left when you raked the lawn.
This can either be done by hand ( I go by the Golden rule to allow for Birds and poor germination and mix up twice as you would recommended by the packet a 30 grams to metre square ).
Lawn fertilizer and seed spreader
Then a good helping of lawn top soil you then spread it evenly into the grass, As with fertilizers you now can get pre-germinated seedling that have all ready been treated to start germinating therefore giving less for the birds to eat as they don’t eat grass shoots.
However these seeds have to mixed with fine sand to separate the seeds.
All this preparation is best carried out in Spring before the weather gets to hot and there a chance of rain
Since I wrote this article there has been some recent developments in feeding techniques and mowing. Since now We are going towards the trends of Organics now.
The first way is by using a machine called a mulcher, basically this machines the grass so finely that it doesn’t need a bucket and thus cuts out the need of composting or taking the grass cutting to a dump.
How ever since I haven’t used them since I started gardening.I cant give My views on it. all I can say is it will only work if the grass is short